- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- ½ small red bell pepper, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and mashed with a fork or potato masher
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar
- 20 Cheddar Feel-Good Popcorners, crushed
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chilies, drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 buns, toasted
- Chipotle mayonnaise
- Sliced avocado
- Lettuce leaves
- Tomato slices
- Or other toppings of your choosing
Warm 1 tablespoon oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and red pepper and sauté until very soft. Remove from heat and stir in the chickpeas, cheese, Popcorners, chilies, lime juice and cilantro. Blend thoroughly and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Form into 4 patties. Wipe out the pan. Add the remaining oil to the pan and set it over medium heat. Add the patties and cook on both sides until crispy and brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
Set each patty on a bun and pass chipotle mayonnaise, avocado, lettuce and onion to let each person dress their burger as they wish.